
I took Ava and Melissa to the doctor on the 25th. It was for their 6 month and 4 year check ups. I chose a doctor at the practice they go to that they have never seen. I chose him because in his description in their brochure it said he specialized in developmental delay. So I figured maybe he could give me answers that nobody else had yet. He started with Melissa and she is healthy in the 50th percentile in weight, the 75th percentile in height, and 90th percentile in head size. She had her 6 month immunizations. When he checked Ava I asked him if I should keep getting her tested so I could know what her disability was. I didn't know if it was worthwhile to keep trying to find out what is wrong with her. He looked at her chart and checked her flexibility in her legs. He said from what he could see that she has cerebral palsy. I asked him why nobody had ever diagnosed her with that. He said it's not something you can test for. It's just something you have to assess. He said they wait until they are sure the child is delayed and then look for all of the other symptoms. He said she has all of the classic signs. Her MRI and CT scan from Primary Children's showed that her brain was underdeveloped and not growing which is the first sign. He went on to say that the stiffness in her limbs, her constipation, and her overall delay were all signs. He said it doesn't shorten her life span and she can still progress to a certain point. He said most children with CP don't walk. He said they can learn to walk with a walker as they get older. However, some CP kids can walk. So we will still work with Ava and try to get to that point. Her lack of balance is also a sign of CP and is the only reason she can't walk. He said to keep her in as much therapy as she can get; particularly physical therapy. So we will do all we can to keep her on the right track. I am going to meet with her physical therapist next week when he comes to work with her at school.
I am happy that the doctor, even though he was reluctant, gave me a diagnosis. He didn't want to give devastating news. But I didn't find it devastating. I am glad I know what she has so I can learn more about it and be able to meet her needs better. She is still Ava whether she has CP or not. Knowing what it is just helps us prepare for her future and ours. We love her no matter what and she will always be our special little girl!

1 comment:
I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm bad at keeping in touch and finding out what's going on in your life. I hope that everything works out and that you'll be able to get all of the help you need.
Keep me updated. Love ya!
Post a Comment