Monday, March 17, 2008

Bittersweet Weekend


This weekend was both bitter and sweet. We'll start with the sweet first. Justin and his brother-in-law Andrew came Tuesday night to help Nathan with the cabins. Wednesday Berkley and the Dransfields came to visit and Thursday morning Janet came up. So we had lots of visitors which I love. It was really good to see the Dransfields. We haven't seen them since Thanksgiving. Lyndsie is getting so big and she crawls around and pulls herself up to the couch. She is so advanced for her age. It was fun to see her and my kids loved playing with her. We didn't do much in the way of going anywhere but we did go for walks outside to the cabins. The weather was pretty warm until Thursday night when we got a little snow. The men mostly worked and us women visited. The Dransfields left Friday evening and the rest left Saturday afternoon. It was nice to have all of them here and hopefully they will all come back soon.

Now for the bitter. My kids have all had colds but Thursday night Melissa woke up crying because she couldn't breath. Her cough got a lot deeper so I decided I had better take her to the doctor since it was going to be the weekend. So I took her Friday morning. The doctor sent us to the hospital to get chest x-rays to see what she had. Well it turned out to be croup and they gave her a shot of steroids for it. He said it would work in 7 to 24 hours. So I brought her home and she was okay for awhile. She still coughed but she was eating and sleeping fine. Then Sunday night she just didn't sleep. Her cough got even worse and she couldn't hold down anything. So this morning I called the nurse and told her what was going on. She told me to take her back to the hospital and they were going to do more x-rays and test for RSV. The RSV test was not so fun for her but she survived. We went back to see the doctor for the results and he told me she has bronchitis. He said it's an infection in her chest and could be treated with antibiotics. That was bad news but I told him I was glad it wasn't RSV. He told me he forgot he ordered that test. So he looked up the results and regretfully told me she had RSV as well. That's all I need is my nice, fat, healthy, little girl to have RSV. I have been so happy that she's been so healthy. My other two had been on several doses of antibiotics by her age. Anyway, we have a nebulizer and have to give her breathing treatments every 4 hours. She's also supposed to be taking amoxicillin but can't keep it down. So I have to call the doctor again in the morning. I'm hoping they can give her a shot instead. She's not so good at taking medicines. I have to take her back on Wednesday so we'll see if she's getting any better.

That's our weekend fun and saga. Hopefully our week will be better. The picture of her above was taken during all of this sickness. She's still happy for the most part. At least during the day. Not so much at night.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I hope Melissa gets well soon! Nothing like the nebulizer every 4 hours. It works though! Our pediatrician thinks it the cure all! I have to say, that picture with the blue eyes, looks like you Martine. I can't even tell her and Madi are related!